The last week was really hard! My Research-Development-VMWare-Setup gave me a hard time while I was trying to share data among different VM’s. Although the data in my shared folder was updated correctly a small java application I wrote was not able to retrieve the correct content from a file within the mentioned share. At the end I found out the .DS_Store file in the according folder was responsible for the mess!!!
Anyway, that brought my attention to the .DS_Store File Format. A quick search revealed that there is not to much information about it available. I just found:
https://wiki.mozilla.org/DS_Store_File_Format ( good starting point – Mark Mentovai )
http://search.cpan.org/~wiml/Mac-Finder-DSStore-0.96/DSStoreFormat.pod ( so far the best source I could find )
I will use the .DS_Store File Format as an example how to fully reverse engineer a proprietary File Format.